90% of WAW clients are victims of violence.
For 20 years, we have been on the frontlines protecting and securing the rights of women, children, and families to overcome all forms of violence and abuse.
We educate, empower, and influence change so women and girls—from Afghanistan to the United States—can live freely, with dignity and respect.
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots civil society organization dedicated to protecting and promoting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York. In particular, WAW works to help Afghan women and girls exercise their rights to pursue their individual potential to self-determination, and to representation in all areas of life—political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW relentlessly advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence to influence attitudes and bring about change.
How to Support Afghan Women
Your support has made WAW’s tremendous growth and staying power possible.
- Provided services to 65,400+ women and children, and their families.
- Trained 450,300+ individuals on women’s rights and 40,500+ on peacebuilding and women's role in it.
- Provided 1,085,920+ conflict-induced internally displaced persons and refugee returnees with protection and monitoring services.
Your generosity over the years has inspired all of us at WAW to keep #AfghanWomenStrong every day.
- Case management and in-house legal support
- Adult empowerment classes
- We Earn Project
- Know Your Rights program
- Women’s Circle
- Girls Leadership Program
- Boys Leadership Program
- Afghan Youth Rising
- Seniors Program
- 12 Family Guidance Centers
- 12 Women’s Protection Centers
- 4 Children’s Support Centers
- 3 Transitional Houses
- 1 Halfway House
- Women’s Rights Training Program
- Protection Monitoring Project
- Women and Peacebuilding
- Undergraduate Scholarship Program
Many around the world have expressed concern for the state of Afghan women. Some have initiated programs to address their problems and to alleviate their suffering. But very few have been able to tackle the situation with the understanding and dedication, the wisdom and the patience of Women for Afghan Women.