Job Title: Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Program Manager, New York Community Center
Location: Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
Job Type: Full Time, In-Person
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the US, particularly their rights to develop their potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural, and economical. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
The Outreach Coordinator will work closely with WAW’s education, case management, and communications teams in our New York Community Center (NYCC).
Community Outreach & Relationship Building
- Promote and communicate WAW’s mission and objectives, identify collaboration opportunities, and develop working relationships with community partners.
- Coordinate with community organizations to provide info sessions covering topics such as laws on protected classes, immigrant rights, available immigration services, and gender-based violence awareness.
- Engage with the partner community organizations, agencies, and stakeholders to determine locations to conduct workshops for Afghan, South Asian, and Muslim immigrant and refugee communities.
- Meet with partner agencies to promote immigrants and women’s rights issues.
- Call, text, and/or email community members to inform and register them in WAW programs.
- Ensure that program participants are informed of advocacy and participation opportunities by facilitating communication with them through a variety of channels (email, text/WhatsApp, phone, and in-person).
- Provide community members with materials and resources on immigrant services, including services offered by WAW and partner organizations.
- Conduct outreach to local mosques and businesses to inform the community about the services, programs, and classes provided by WAW.
- Create and disseminate outreach materials for civic engagement, WAW programming, and events.
- Network with other coalitions and community-based organizations to counter legislation and public policies that adversely affect the rights of all citizens, non-citizens, families, and communities.
- Contribute to staff and partner meetings and funder site visits.
- Provide updates monthly and upon request for all outreach and advocacy activities.
- Incorporate WAW’s mission and values into all advocacy and community outreach initiatives and events when serving as a WAW representative.
- Attend conferences, workshops, presentations, and other events as required and/or approved by the NYCC Program Manager.
- Lead WAW NYCC community organizing/leadership development program for community members to build immigrant leadership on relevant issues.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience engaging and mobilizing immigrant communities on the grassroots level
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s and immigrants’ rights.
- Knowledge of New York City and New York State legislative procedures.
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders with minimal supervision.
- Possess a collaborative work style and ethic.
- Willingness to travel by all forms of transportation in New York City, including subway and buses.
- Ability to collaborate with local mosques and religious leaders.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible and able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Self-starter and creative thinker who can take the initiative and meet deadlines.
- Fluency in English (reading, writing, and speaking) is required.
- Language skills in Dari, Pashto, Urdu, or Hindi, are strongly preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000-55,000 annually, depending on experience
Benefits: 403(b) plan; Dental insurance; Health insurance; Life insurance; Paid time off
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 9 am-5 pm
Ability to commute/relocate
This position is located in Queens, NY. Candidates must reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work. (Required)
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please type Outreach Coordinator, NY – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience, as we are looking to hire as soon as possible. No phone calls, please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status, or sexual orientation.