Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the US, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenge the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
The Advocacy and Outreach Coordinator will lead WAW’s advocacy work in Virginia and New York (NY). The Advocacy and Outreach Coordinator will serve in a full-time position, and will report to WAW’s US Country Director, and work closely with WAW’s New York Community Center (NYCC) staff and communications and development team.
- Participate/strengthen NYC/VA-based advocacy groups for immigrants and women’s issues;
- Represent WAW in meetings with US government officials and other key stakeholders to inform and raise the profile of Afghan women’s rights;
- Take immediate action, with help from WAW’s existing networks (and the networks this position will establish in NYC/VA), when/if any policies threatens, undermines or sidelines the rights of Afghan and immigrant women;
- Keep informed on policy developments relating to Afghanistan and immigrants in the USA, in particular those which will impact women’s rights, and provide timely updates to the organization;
- Write opinion editorials, press releases, advocacy statements and other advocacy materials to raise awareness and promote Afghan women’s rights;
- Collaborate with WAW’s Communication Manager to help lead WAW’s messaging and media advocacy work;
- Coordinate with places of worship to collaborate on education and advocacy programs;
- Create rapid response action plan to assist community members during times of increased Islamophobia; and
- Network and conduct advocacy with other coalitions and community-based organizations to counter legislation and public policies that adversely affect the rights of all citizens, non-citizens, families, and communities.
Community Outreach & Relationship Building
- Coordinate community info sessions covering topics such as laws on protected classes, immigrant rights, available immigration services and gender-based violence awareness;
- Provide participants with materials and resources on immigrant services, including services offered by WAW and partner organizations;
- Engage with the partner community organizations, agencies, and stakeholders to determine locations to conduct workshops for Afghan, South Asian, and Muslim immigrant and refugee communities;
- Conduct outreach to local mosques, businesses to inform the community on the services and classes provided by WAW; and
- Create and disseminate outreach materials for civic engagement, WAW programming and events (coordinate translation materials).
- Contribute to staff and partner meetings, and funder site visits;
- Provide US Country Director with monthly updates, or upon request, of all program activities;
- Incorporate WAW’s mission and values into all community outreach initiatives and events in which serving as a WAW representative;
- Attend conferences, workshops, presentations, and other events as required and/or approved by the Program Director; and
- Lead WAW NYCC community organizing / leadership development program for community members in order to build immigrant leadership on relevant issues.
- Passionate or experienced in working with a grassroots organization to engage and mobilize immigrant communities.
- Master’s Degree preferred, Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders and enthusiastic about teamwork.
- Comfortable with travel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible and ready to manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Self-starter and willing to be creative / take initiative.
- Language skills in Dari, Pashto, Urdu/Hindi preferred but not required.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please type [Advocacy and Outreach Coordinator]– [your last name] in the subject line.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.