Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the United States, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
The Caseworker is a full-time position in Northern Virginia and reports directly to the Program Manager. The Caseworker is responsible for working on various client cases in a timely manner, supporting the Staff Attorney alongside the case management team. The Caseworker will provide services using a strength-based approach. The caseworker will work with external organizations and agencies to maximize support for WAW’s clients.
Reports to: Virginia Branch Program Manager
Location: Northern Virginia
Job Type: Full-time, In-person
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in implementing service plans determined by the goals set by clients, including reviewing service plans, identifying progress, and revising the plan with the client as needed.
- Conduct safety assessment and safety planning with domestic violence survivors and assist them in obtaining safe shelter while their case is being processed
- Accompany or arrange for clients who need support to other agencies, facilities, and appointments
- Seek opportunities to partner and collaborate with organizations in the Northern Virginia area to maximize the resources of the community center
- Manage in developing cases for clients required to appear at fair hearings
- Refer clients to other organizations for additional services, (e.g. family legal services, shelters)
- Advise clients about the services to which they are entitled
- Provide translation/interpretation on behalf of clients
- Assist the legal team in filling USCIS forms for clients.
- Ensure all client information are entered into WAW’s database in a timely manner
- Ensure the hard copy of clients’ case files are updated and securely stored
- Draft profiles of WAW clients
- Serve as a spokesperson on behalf of WAW at various programs, meetings, and functions when approved by the US Country Director and/or Executive Director,
- Interpret for participants at monthly Women Circle sessions and other programs as needed, and
- Help with the community outreach and other events when needed, and assist with other administrative tasks, special projects and assignments, as needed.
- Stay informed and updated about WAW’s programs in Afghanistan
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Passionate and experienced in working with immigrant and refugee communities
- Ability to create a safe, respectful, positive, fun, and welcoming environment by modeling professionalism and utilizing positive feedback methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Language skills in Dari, Pashto preferred but not required
- Must be organized and have great attention to detail
Women for Afghan Women offers an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary with health and vacation benefits.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please type Caseworker – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire as soon as possible.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.