The CASEWORKER is a full-time position at WAW’s New York Community Center (NYCC) and reports directly to the Case Manager. The Caseworker is responsible for working on various client’s cases in a timely manner, supporting the Legal Advisor alongside the case management team. The Caseworker will provide services as needed, always using a strength based approach. The caseworker will work with external organizations and agencies to maximize support for WAW’s clients.
Location: 71-19 162nd Street, Unit CF-D, Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
Job Type: Full-time
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in implementing service plans determined by goals of clients, including reviewing service plans, identifying progress, and revising the plan as needed.
- Conduct safety assessment and safety planning with domestic violence survivors and assist them in obtaining safe shelter while their case is being processed.
- Accompany or arrange for clients who need support to other agencies, facilities, and appointments.
- Seek opportunities to partner and collaborate with organizations in the NYC area to maximize the resources of the NYCC.
- Manage in developing cases for clients required to appear at fair hearings.
- Refer clients to other organizations for additional services, (e.g. family legal services shelters).
- Advise clients about the services they are entitled to.
- Translate on behalf of clients.
- Assist the legal team filling USCIS forms for clients.
- Ensure all client information are entered into WAW’s database in a timely manner.
- Ensure the hard copy of clients’ case files are updated and securely stored.
- Draft profiles of WAW clients.
- Serve as a spokesperson on behalf of WAW at various programs, meetings, and functions when approved by the US country director and/or executive director.
- Translate for participants at monthly Women Circle sessions and other programs as needed, and must be organized and have great attention to detail.
- Help with the community outreach and other events when needed, and take part on other administrative tasks, special projects and assignments, as needed.
- Stay informed and updated about WAW’s programs in Afghanistan.
Qualifications / Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Passionate and experienced in working with Immigrant and refugee community.
- Ability to create a safe, respectful, positive, fun, and welcoming environment by modeling professionalism and utilizing positive reinforcement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible and ready to manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Language skills in Dari, Pashto preferred but not required.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.