Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a women’s human rights organization based in New York City and Afghanistan. We are seeking a detail-oriented, creative, and energetic individual to join the New York Community Center (NYCC) team as a Citizenship Instructor. This position will work directly with WAW clients in the NYCC to prepare them for the US Naturalization Test. Candidates must have at least one year of experience in citizenship and ESL instruction and must hold a degree or certificate in TESOL.
This is a part-time position (6 instructional hours/week) with a rate of $30/instructional hour.
The Citizenship Instructor’s primary role will be to execute the following tasks:
- Classroom Administration: Lead in the planning, preparation, and execution of WAW’s Exam Preparation Class under the Citizenship Instruction Program. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Administering academic and language assessments to program participants.
- Presenting naturalization curriculum to students and adapting teaching materials to accommodate students’ needs.
- Developing and delivering lesson plans.
- Advocating for program resources that are required to meet the learning needs of learners.
- Engaging students and encouraging classroom participation.
- Identifying individual challenges and modeling correct English language usage for program participants.
- Providing appropriate feedback on oral and written work.
- Developing supplemental teaching materials and activities, if necessary.
- Classroom Development: Maintain classroom records and lead in curriculum development. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining and monitoring accurate records of students’ growth and progress.
- Maintaining regular and accurate attendance records.
- Integrating feedback from program staff to improve students’ learning.
- Coordinating with WAW staff to provide a comfortable and supportive environment for students.
- Providing support for monthly program reports.
- Attending professional trainings, workshops, and staff meetings.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- At least 1 year of experience in citizenship instruction for adults, preferably in a classroom setting, AND
- Hold a degree in TESOL; and/or
- Hold TESOL certification from a state licensing agency; and/or
- Have a minimum of 2 years of experience in TESOL instruction in a classroom
- 2-3 years of experience in curriculum and lesson plan development
- Administrative and database experience
- Excellent spoken and written English skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- A positive can-do attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Passion for human rights and gender equality
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- BEST Plus certified
- Experience working with immigrant communities
- Proficiency in spoken and written Dari and/or Pashto preferred but not required
Please email your application (cover letter, resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please type “Citizenship Instructor – [your last name]” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.