ABOUT WOMEN FOR AFGHAN WOMEN
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and children around the world, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life. To this end, WAW engages with both government and civil society, including religious and gender justice stakeholders.
- Job Title: Director of Development
- Reports to: Executive Director
The Director of Development will proactively lead the development and the execution of a fundraising strategy to allow WAW to accomplish its growing U.S. operations and programmatic vision. We are seeking a seasoned, creative, and energetic fundraising professional to help build and support an engaged team and lead the organization’s U.S. efforts to increase, strengthen, and diversify our fundraising. The Director of Development will work closely on a team with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Board of Directors, Development Team, and other WAW staff to achieve the organization’s vision.
The Director of Development will join WAW’s Development team in a full-time capacity and must be based in New York City. The position will have a three-month probationary period and yearly evaluations, which will determine this role’s advancement in the organization.
- Fundraising leadership and expertise: Lead the execution and diversification of WAW’s budget in Afghanistan and the United States through government (city/state/federal government/international institutions) contracts; foundation grants; corporate giving and partnership development; the development of a major donor program; benefit event fundraising; individual giving; and board and advisory board development and cultivation.
- Major donor cultivation: Work closely with and create opportunities for the Executive Director to engage and cultivate relationships with key supporters, including philanthropists, institutional funders, board members, major donors, leading volunteers, and city and community leaders to increase support for WAW and its visibility.
- Team supervision: Manage the development staff, and provide timely feedback, assign tasks, pay close attention to deadlines, and address shortcomings and challenges.
- Establishing an organizational endowment and raising funds for the endowment.
- Proactive fundraising plan development: Work in close partnership with staff and the Board of Directors to develop and execute an ambitious 3-year U.S. fundraising plan, which supports the organizational vision and will secure its long-term sustainability.
- Fundraising events strategy lead: Develop and lead an ambitious fundraising strategy for benefit events, working closely with the staff team, volunteer leadership, and host/benefit committee members to execute.
- Lead annual appeals: Lead annual appeals, working closely with staff to develop visually and emotionally compelling asks.
- Board recruitment and development: Help identify, recruit, and motivate leaders to serve on the Board and Advisory Board, and support participants to make the best use of their gifts, talents, and networks.
- External communications with donors and supporters: Work closely with Communications team to create visually and emotionally compelling e-content and print content for WAW supporters and followers.
Qualifications: As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of WAW and be driven by its mission. Beyond that, we are seeking a seasoned candidate with proven experience in scaling a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to lead an ambitious and growth-oriented fundraising strategy.
- A minimum of 5 progressively responsible development experience, with 3+ years in management roles.
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- A proven track record of raising funds for organizations.
- Proven ability to develop and follow a vision and strategic plan.
- High level of professionalism and ability to articulate vision, mission, and strategy, and to represent the organization to grantors and donors as a confident, informed, and inspiring leader.
- Superior relationship-building, speaking, and writing skills.
- Positive and successful staff leadership and management experience.
- Excellent team builder and team player.
- Understanding of online and campaign fundraising.
- Experience working with program and finance teams.
- Organized and good follow through.
- Must be based in New York City.
- A demonstrated commitment to women’s advocacy and human rights.
- Experience with grants at all three levels of the U.S. government.
Compensation: Commensurate to experience. WAW also offers fully paid medical insurance, paid vacation, holidays and sick time, and a retirement savings plan.
Please email your application (cover letter, resume, and an annual fundraising strategy sample, a major donor event/strategy sample, or a grant writing sample) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type Development Director – [your last name] in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.