Adult Literacy Program, Women for Afghan Women (WAW) New York Community Center (NYCC)
Job Description: Bilingual Pashto/Dari English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor/Tester
This position will be in contract with the JEWISH COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF GREATER CONEY ISLAND, Inc. | 3001 West 37th Street • Brooklyn, New York 11224-1479 • 718-449-5000 / Fax: 718-946-8240 for Women for Afghan Women (WAW).
The position of Adult Literacy Program Instructor/Tester includes (but is not limited to) the following responsibilities:
- Assist with recruitment, assessment and testing of students.
- Provide required Adult Literacy instruction, following curriculum set by supervisory staff. If a decision is made that the instructor will develop his/her own curriculum a bi-weekly lesson plan may be required.
- Assist in retaining the students, following up with students that dropped out.
- Pre and Post test students using the BEST Plus test.
- Maintain accurate attendance records. Attendance records must be submitted on a bi-weekly basis (along with the timesheets).
- Track and maintain copies of student progress throughout the class. For example, quizzes, tests, work assignments, teacher’s progress notes, self assessment forms, peer assessments forms etc. should be maintained in the student’s files.
- Offer students counseling and information/referral services.
- Guide students through the citizenship application process- if applicable.
- Participate in required staff development sessions. (DYCD Requirement: Instructional staff members would receive, at minimum, 14 hours of approved staff development activities per year. All new instructional staff would receive pre-service training and, at minimum, ten hours of approved staff development that is regularly scheduled during the staff member’s first calendar year of employment.)
- Submit timesheets in a timely manner. Unless specified otherwise, timesheets are due by 11am on the last day indicated on the timesheet. We cannot guarantee that any timesheets received after the deadline will be processed in time for the following pay date. In order for a paycheck to be released, original timesheets must be received.
- Teachers teaching students under the age of 18 must get fingerprinted, as required by our funding sources.
Every effort will be made to make up a session missed due to no fault of the instructor. However, we cannot guarantee that this will be arranged. Accordingly, unless arrangements can be made, teachers will not be paid for any cancelled class, including, but not limited to: illness, vacation, holidays (including work restricted Jewish holidays), inclement weather, an issue with the specific site etc.
It is always our intention to complete the hours allocated to a specific class, but JCCGCI reserves the right to cancel a class prior to its completion if unforseen circumstances arise, including, but not limited to: issues with a specific site, drop in attendance etc. In addition, JCCGCI, doesn’t guarantee employment.
All actions taken on behalf of the Jewish Community Council of Greater Coney Island must meet the JCCGCI’s standard of integrity and ethics.
Under no circumstances may an employee falsify, distort or forge any information, signature or any other aspect of any programmatic or fiscal record relating to any contract, grant or agreement held by the organization. Any violation of this policy will subject the employee to severe disciplinary action, which may include, but not be limited to, immediate termination of employment
Qualifications: bachelor’s degree and appropriate training and experience providing educational services to older, out of school youth and/or adult populations; excellent written and oral communicative skills in English; sensitivity to the backgrounds and cultures of program participants
Applicants will apply to the Jewish Community Council of Greater Coney Island, Inc. (JCCGCI) and sign that they have read, understood and agreed to be bound by all the terms of this Job Description; Applicants will sign that they understand that this job description is not intended to establish contractual rights between themselves and the Jewish Community Council of Greater Coney Island, Inc. (JCCGCI); Applicants will sign that they understand that this job description is only intended to be a general outline of responsibilities and that employment is terminable at-will so that both JCCGCI and the applicant will remain free to end the work relationship.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org