Job Position: Part-Time English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Instructor
Reports to: Virginia Community Center Education Coordinator
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a women’s human rights organization based in New York City with Community Centers in New York City and Arlington, Virginia, as well as extensive operations in Afghanistan. We are seeking a detail-oriented, creative, and energetic individual to join WAW’s Virginia Community Center (VACC) team as a part-time ESOL Instructor.
This position will teach classes directly with WAW clients at the VACC. Candidates must have at least two years of experience in ESOL instruction and must hold a degree or certificate in TESOL. The ESOL instructor reports to the Education Coordinator.
This is a part-time, 18 hours/week position with a pay rate of $35/instructional hour.
The ESL Instructor’s primary role will be executing the following tasks:
Classroom Administration: Lead in the planning, preparation, and execution of WAW’s English Classes. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Administer academic and language assessments to program participants.
- Present ESOL curriculum to students, adapting teaching materials to accommodate students’ needs.
- Develop and deliver lesson plans.
- Advocate for program resources that are required to meet the learning needs of learners.
- Engage students and encouraging classroom participation.
- Identify individual challenges and model correct English language usage for program participants.
- Provide appropriate feedback on oral and written work.
- Develop supplemental teaching materials and activities.
Classroom Development: Maintain classroom records and lead in curriculum development. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Maintain and monitor accurate records of students’ growth and progress.
- Maintain regular and accurate attendance records.
- Coordinate with WAW staff to provide a comfortable and supportive environment for students.
- Provide support for monthly program reports.
- Attend professional trainings, workshops, and staff meetings.
Required Skills and Qualifications
At least 2 years of experience in ESOL instruction for adults, preferably in a classroom setting, AND Hold a degree in TESOL; and/or
Hold TESOL certification from a state licensing agency; and/or2-3 years of experience in curriculum and lesson plan development
- Administrative and database experience
- Excellent spoken and written English skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- A positive, can-do attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Passion for human rights and gender equality and equity
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Proficiency in spoken and written Dari and/or Pashto, not required
- BEST Plus 2.0 certified
- Experience working with immigrant communities
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please type ESOL Instructor (VA) – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire immediately. No phone calls please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.