Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization; our mission is dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the U.S, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural and economic.
Location: Fresh Meadows, NY
Job Type: Full-time, In-person
Duration: 3 to 6 months. Temporary position (Starts November 1st, 2023)
Reports to: Program Manager, NYCC
Job Position Description and Responsibilities
WAW is recruiting an Immigration Attorney to provide direct legal assistance to WAW’s clients, as well as strategic legal advice to WAW’s leadership, if needed. The Immigration Attorney will work directly with the Program Manager and the case management team to provide counsel and assistance with ongoing cases and identify means of supporting Afghans currently seeking safety in the United States or elsewhere.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Oversee implementation of pro-bono legal services at WAW’s New York Community Center
- Coordinate intake of new clients, legal filings, and preparation for immigration-related interviews.
- Work closely and collaboratively with caseworkers, educators, and other employees at the organization.
- Ensure WAW’s legal services are fully compliant with all applicable laws and regulations, including grant requirements, while always protecting the confidentiality and best interests of clients.
- Immediate caseload will include but is not limited to: naturalization, adjustment of status, consular processing, K1 visa, and replacement of documents.
- JD or equivalent from an accredited law school in the United States or abroad
- Admitted to the NY State Bar Association
- Minimum 2 years experience with immigration and refugee law
- Demonstrated ability to learn complex areas of the law quickly
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equity, international human rights, immigration justice, and serving low-income, marginalized people of color highly desired.
- Pragmatic approach to risk assessment and an ability to approach this legal work with an appropriate sense of urgency and sensitivity
- Excellent organizational and program management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of the team
- Openness to evolving responsibilities and a rapidly adapting workplace
- Access to and ability to activate networks of subject matter and legal experts to inform and shape the work a plus
- Fluency in Dari, Pashto, and/or Urdu a plus but not required
How to Apply:
Please email your application (cover letter, resume, and a short writing sample) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type Immigration Attorney – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire as soon as possible.
No calls please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.