JOB TITLE: Job Placement Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Program Manager, Virginia Community Center
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the United States, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
The Job Placement Coordinator is a full-time position and reports directly to the Program Manager. The coordinator is responsible for recruiting and then finding suitable employment for clients in need. The coordinator will work with external partners that can provide employment opportunities to maximize support for WAW’s clients.
5510 Cherokee Ave., Suite 110, Alexandria, VA 22312
Job Type: Full-time, In-person
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support outreach efforts to recruit community members who need job support services
- Establish and maintain working relationships with employers, industry organizations, and public agencies to source job openings and secure employment for clients
- Perform career counseling to job seeker clients and help them make appropriate career decisions
- Evaluate clients’ background, skills, interest, English level and matches to potential job openings
- Refer clients to suitable positions
- Coach and prepare participants for interviews and entry into the workforce
- Assist clients with resume preparation
- Monitor clients’ development throughout the program, utilizing the necessary documents required by the funding source/Program Manager
- Attend to the needs of participants while coordinating job search and placement
- Regular follow up with clients to obtain placement and ensure compliance with grant requirements
- Review all forms being submitted to funding source to assure accuracy
- A comprehensive knowledge of VA employment opportunities and/or knowledge of labor market
- Language skills in Dari, Pashto strongly preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years of successful work experience in private sector recruitment, community relations, business development, and workforce development or related field
- Networking skills, Resourceful in adding more clients
- A passion and desire to work with, and advocate for the immigrant/refugee community
- Leadership skills in conflict intervention, negotiation and decision-making
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to use computers for job search and recording of data generated by the program
- Ability to speak effectively and persuasively to participants, employers, and community groups
- Strong networking skills
- Ability to create a safe, respectful, positive, fun, and welcoming environment by modeling professionalism and utilizing positive feedback methods
- Must be organized and have great attention to detail
Women for Afghan Women offers an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary with health and vacation benefits.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 – $55,000.00 per year
Benefits: 401(k) matching, Dental insurance, Health insurance, Life insurance, Paid time off
Schedule: 8 hour shift, Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate: Location: Fairfax, VA 22030: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type Job Coordinator, VA – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire as soon as possible. No phone calls please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.