Mental Health Counselor
Reports to: Program Manager, Virginia Community Center
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the United States, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
WAW is looking for a full-time mental health counselor who can support the women at WAW’s Virginia Branch. The center will provide direct side-by-side and comprehensive services to the Afghan, South Asian, Arab, and Muslim immigrant communities of Virginia and remote (phone or online) support to Afghans and other immigrants that reside outside of Virginia. The position will be working closely with the Virginia Program Manager.
Our success stems from our family-centered, culturally sensitive, and linguistically appropriate approach, which has enabled us to build trust with the community and work within it to foster positive change.
Time commitment: Full-time, In-person
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
- Conduct initial assessments of clients’ situations to determine needs and goals
- Provide in-person mental health counseling sessions to individuals and groups
- Develop service plans and conduct reviews as needed throughout the duration of treatment
- Provide mental health assessments, counseling, referrals, and intervention services
- Provide crisis intervention as needed
- Refer individuals to appropriate treatment centers, as necessary
- Ensure that all case files and other records strictly comply with policies, regulations, and procedures
- Coordinate treatment plans and maintain ongoing contact with partner organizations to ensure the continual care of patients/clients
- Actively participate in ongoing training as needed to meet all certification standards and credentialing policies
- Fully licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Passionate about working with an immigrant-serving grassroots organization
- Master’s Degree in psychology or social work required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Mental Health
- Language skills in Farsi, Pashto, or Urdu preferred but not required
- Computer literacy: This includes knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, familiarity with the internet, Simple Practice software and proficient use of email communications
- Compassion and empathy: An ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the clients and community you serve
Pay: $65,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
Benefits: 401(k) matching, Dental insurance, Health insurance, Life insurance, Paid time off
Schedule: 8-hour shift | Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate to Fairfax, VA 22030/Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Type Mental Health Counselor, VA – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire as soon as possible. No phone calls please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.