Job Position: Mental Health Counselor
Reports to: Program Manager, New York Community Center
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
WAW is looking for a full-time mental health counselor who can support the women at our New York Community Center (NYCC). The NYCC provides direct side-by-side and comprehensive services to the Afghan, South Asian, Arab, and Muslim immigrant communities of New York City (NYC) and remote (phone or online) support to Afghans and other immigrants that reside outside of NYC. The position will be working closely with the NYCC’s Case Manager and will report to the US Country Director.
The NYCC is strategically located in Fresh Meadows in Queens, which is home to an estimated 90% of New York’s Afghan community and is within walking distance for many of WAW’s clients. Our success stems from our family-centered, culturally sensitive, and linguistically appropriate approach, which has enabled us to build trust with the community and work within it to foster positive change.
Location: 71-19 162nd St, Fresh Meadows, NY
- Conduct initial assessments of clients’ situations to determine needs and goals
- Provide in-person mental health counseling sessions to individuals and groups
- Develop service plans and conduct reviews as needed throughout the duration of treatment
- Provide mental health assessments, counseling, referrals, and intervention services
- Provide crisis intervention as needed
- Refer individuals to appropriate treatment centers, as necessary
- Ensure that all case notes, files, and other records strictly comply with policies, regulations, and procedures
- Coordinate treatment plans and maintain ongoing contact with partner organizations to ensure the continual care of patients/clients
- Actively participate in ongoing training as needed to meet all certification standards and credentialing policies
- Organize and participate in wellness events for the WAW community, including workshops, classes and online presentations
- Work with NYCC programs team to identify and develop appropriate mental health programs for the WAW community
- Master’s Degree in psychology or social work, required
- Licensed to practice mental health counseling in New York, required
- Minimum 2 years counseling experience
- Passionate about working with an immigrant-serving grassroots organization
- Language skills in Farsi/Dari, Pashto, or Urdu, preferred
- Experience using Microsoft Office/Google Office suite.
- Compassion and empathy: An ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the clients and community you serve
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $67,500-75,000 annually, depending on experience
Benefits: 403(b) plan; Dental insurance; Health insurance; Life insurance; Paid time off
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm
Ability to commute/relocate
This position is located in Queens, NY. Candidates must reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work. (Required)
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com . Please type Mental Health Counselor, NY – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire as soon as possible. No phone calls please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.