Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self- determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenge the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
The Office & Administrative Assistant will report to Women for Afghan Women’s (WAW’s) US Country Director
Job Location: 71-19 162nd Street, Unit CF-D, Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
Job Type: Full-time. In-person (only candidates who are based locally will be considered).
- Process all of WAW NYCC’s incoming and outgoing mail
- Handle phone calls and relay messages to NYCC management and staff
- Manage and maintain an inventory of all office supplies; ensure office systems and technical infrastructure are functioning properly including but not limited to internet/connectivity, telephone/fax, printers/copiers, computers, in addition to all other hardware and software, required for efficient operations
- Ensure the proper functioning of the office environment and its property, including alarm systems, property maintenance, lighting, heating and cooling, etc.
- Monitor and manage the maintenance needs of the office environment and its property, and arrange for timely servicing when requiredEnsure that the NYCC is clean and presentable at all times by managing the cleaning company or person/s contracted for these purposes
- Collect, process, and file reimbursement claims, leave requests, quotations and purchase orders with the required supporting documentation before submission to WAW’s Finance Department for payment
- Manage all orders, records, and relations with outside vendors and third-party contractors
- Manage and order food and beverages required for meetings, site visits, and/or other office-related events
- Take care of office-related travel and accommodations and/or any other arrangements and tasks related to business travel
- Take notes during staff meetings and ensure staff meeting agendas and minutes are circulated to staff in a timely manner
- Assist the US Country Director in some of her tasks
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong written communication skills
- Self-starter and willing to be creative / take initiative
- Flexible and ready to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders and enthusiastic about teamwork
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- A passion for human rights, immigrant rights, and gender equality
- Language proficiency in English, as well as one of the following: Dari, Farsi, Pashto, Urdu, Hindi, or Arabic is preferred but not required
- A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to participate in a collaborative work environment and also work independently
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.