Job Title: Program Manager
Reports To: US Country Director
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Job Type: Full-time, In-person
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the US, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
The Program Manager develops and oversees programs and activities at WAW’s Virginia Community Center (VACC). With special focus on operations and in partnership with the US Country Director and the Deputy Executive Director, the Program Manager articulates vision, strategic direction, program focus, strength, and sustainability. This role will oversee the implementation for programs, ensuring they are true to WAW’s mission.
The Program Manager has exceptional interpersonal skills, contributes to an organizational culture of learning, mutual accountability, respect, collaboration, and results. A visionary for the organization, the Program Manager welcomes and generates new ideas, and encourages dynamism among staff, youth leaders, and others in the WAW community. The Program Manager plays a vital and visible role in the Afghan women’s rights movement, serving as leader and advocate, and framing key issues that affect the agency and well-being of Afghan women.
- In partnership with the US Country Director, provides strategic guidance, direction, leadership, and positive reinforcement to articulate a clear vision and fulfill WAW’s mission at VACC, with an overall organizational lens.
- Develops, oversees, evaluates, and monitors VACC programs and services.
- Provides timely, accurate, monthly narrative and quantitative reports to the US Country Director on VACC programs and activities.
- Assesses VACC’s programmatic needs and recommends new opportunities to the US Country Director.
- Ensures program emphasis on advocacy and that advocacy messages (in media speeches) are rooted in WAW’s work.
Grant Management and Development
- Collaborates with the US Country Director, Deputy Executive Director, Development Director, and Finance Director to ensure that VACC operates within its budget, is compliant with grants, and is proactive in fundraising efforts.
- Plays a vital role in fundraising for VACC’s work, collaborating with the Development and Communications teams, board, and consultants to meet and grow fund development goals.
- Leads meetings and site visits with donors and potential donors in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area, in conjunction with the US Country Director and/or the Development team.
- Provides Development staff with narratives and quantitative data for donor reports in a timely manner.
- Identifies priority areas in need of funding in a timely manner so the Development team can identify sources of funding.
- Implements VACC’s operational plan to ensure delivery of appropriate and effective programs that align with the budget.
- Ensures that spending is appropriate, timely, and aligned with available funding.
- Supervises and conducts regular individual and team meetings with VACC staff to ensure that program goals and grant obligations are met.
- Monitors staff performance, providing feedback, training, and guidance as needed.
- Ensure staff have the support needed to do their jobs successfully, and that they are provided with opportunities to develop skills and experience that further their growth.
- Provides a positive and supportive environment, keeping abreast of signs of stress and burnout, particularly among client-facing staff, and providing opportunities for stress relief and team-building.
- Screens, interviews and hires candidates for open positions at VACC, in collaboration with the Human Resource Officer.
- Represents WAW in public events, conferences, meetings with other domestic and international non-profit organizations, and government entities to promote WAW’s work and advocate for the community we serve.
- Identifies and expands WAW’s networking resources, building relationships with key stakeholders, potential partners, and the community.
- Maintains current knowledge of women’s and human rights issues affecting WAW’s work in the US and Afghanistan.
- Provides stories and images of VACC’s work to the Communication team for use in WAW publications including reports, flyers, fundraising appeals and social media.
- Provide culturally competent workshops, classes, and seminars for Afghan immigrants.
- Work with partner organizations and key stakeholders to provide information to and services for Afghan immigrants.
- Successful staff leadership and management experience in a values-driven organization.
- Strong identification with and commitment to the WAW mission.
- Experience working in a grassroots nonprofit organization, preferably for women/girls.
- Organizational development experience at the managerial or senior level.
- Successful record of program management in a nonprofit, advocacy organization, government, or private-sector entity.
- Expertise in program monitoring and evaluation using quantitative and qualitative data, plus familiarity with data management systems.
- Demonstrated effectiveness supporting program teams and building shared leadership.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and to building long-term power and opportunity for women/girls, low-income people of color, underserved communities.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree highly desired.
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
Women for Afghan Women offers an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary with health and vacation benefits.
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please type Program Manager (VA) – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire immediately. No phone calls please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.