REPORTS TO: Adult Education Coordinator, New York, NY
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
WAW is looking for a part-time facilitator who can lead an afternoon program for women and men ages 55+ at our New York Community Center (NYCC) that runs from June -December every year. The NYCC provides direct side-by-side and comprehensive services to the Afghan, South Asian, Arab, and Muslim immigrant communities of New York City (NYC) and remote (phone or online) support to Afghans and other immigrants that reside outside of NYC. The women’s and men’s programs are separate; each program runs once per week. The position begins on June 1 to allow time for curriculum development prior to the July start. The position will report to the Adult Education Coordinator.
The NYCC is strategically located in Fresh Meadows in Queens, which is home to an estimated 90% of New York’s Afghan community, and is within walking distance for many of WAW’s clients. Our success stems from our family-centered, culturally sensitive, and linguistically appropriate approach, which has enabled us to build trust with the community and work within it to foster positive change.
This position is part-time. The position will provide services onsite and in-person at WAW’s New York Community Center unless otherwise determined.
Time commitment: June-December 2022
Location: 71-19 162nd Street, Unit CF-D, Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
- Conduct evaluation of 2021 program to determine successes and areas for improvement
- Develop curriculum for men’s and women’s recreational program based on assessment
- Lead recreational activities from 1pm-5pm on Mondays and Wednesday at WAW’s New York Community Center or online. Activities may include arts and crafts, chair yoga, field trips and more
- Lead discussions or bring in guests to speak about topics such as mental health, domestic abuse, elder abuse, healthy eating, etc.
- Oversee attendance by maintaining records and doing outreach out to clients
- Passionate about working with an immigrant-serving grassroots organization
- Language skills in Farsi/Dari required
- Computer literacy: This includes knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, familiarity with the internet, and proficient use of email communications
- Compassion and empathy: An ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the clients and community you serve
Job Type: Part-time
Schedule: 9am – 5pm Mondays and Wednesdays only
Work Location: 71-19 162nd Street, Unit CF-D, Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
Remote Work: Depending on clients’ needs.
To apply, please email your cover letter, résumé and three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[Applicant’s Name] – Seniors Program Facilitator position”
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.