Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization; our mission is dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the U.S, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural and economic.
Location: Northern Virginia
Job Type: Full-time, In-person
Position Description and Responsibilities WAW is recruiting a Staff Attorney to provide direct legal assistance to WAW’s clients, as well as strategic legal advice to WAW’s leadership, if needed. The Staff Attorney will work directly with the Program Manager and the case management team to provide counsel and assistance with ongoing cases and identify means of supporting Afghans currently seeking safety in the United States or elsewhere.
Reports to: Virginia Branch Program Manager
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Oversee WAW’s Virginia Branch recruitment and implementation of pro-bono legal services.
- Coordinate intake of new clients, legal filings, and preparation for immigration-related interviews.
- Work closely and collaboratively with caseworkers, educators, and other employees at the organization.
- Ensure WAW’s legal services are fully compliant with all applicable laws and regulations, including grant requirements, while always protecting the confidentiality and best interests of clients.
- Immediate caseload will include but is not limited to naturalization, adjustment of status, consular processing, K1 visa, and replacement of documents.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equity, international human rights, immigration justice, and serving low-income, marginalized people of color highly desired.
- Must be admitted to the bar in Virginia or awaiting admission
- Experience with immigration and refugee law and a demonstrated ability to learn complex areas of the law quickly
- Pragmatic approach to risk assessment and an ability to approach this legal work with an appropriate sense of urgency and sensitivity
- Excellent organizational and program management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of the team
- Openness to evolving responsibilities and a rapidly adapting workplace
- Access to and ability to activate networks of subject matter and legal experts to inform and shape the work a plus
- Fluency in Dari, Pashto, and/or Urdu a plus
Women for Afghan Women offers an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary with health and vacation benefits.
Please email your application (cover letter, resume, and a 1-page writing sample) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please type Staff Attorney – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire as soon as possible.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.