Staff Attorney, Women for Afghan Women
Job Type: Full-time
Qualifications: Bar (Preferred)
US work authorization (Preferred)
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization; our mission is dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural and economic.
WAW is heartbroken at the speed and extent to which the violence and escalating conflict in Afghanistan has threatened the innocent lives of millions and displaced hundreds of thousands. But we are determined to employ every resource we have to meet the needs of the emergency currently engulfing Afghanistan and its people. We urgently appeal to all parties to respect the sanctity of life and all human rights. And, we call upon all our international partners to continue their support to the people of Afghanistan at this critical time.
WAW’s advocacy for women’s rights, our work to challenge the norms that underpin gender-based violence, and the supportive services we offer to women and families in New York City and Afghanistan is are evolving quickly in response to growing and changing needs.
Position Description and Responsibilities
WAW is recruiting a Staff Attorney to provide direct legal assistance to WAW’s clients, as well as strategic legal advice to WAW’s leadership. The Staff Attorney will work directly with the Case Manager (CM) and the case management team to provide counsel and assistance with ongoing cases and identify means of supporting Afghans currently seeking safety in the United States or elsewhere.
The Staff Attorney will work from WAW’s New York Community Center located at 71-19 162nd St, Unit CF-D, Fresh Meadows, NY, 11365. This position is full-time.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Oversee WAW NYCC’s recruitment and deployment of pro-bono legal services.
- Coordinate WAW NYCC’s intake of new clients, legal filings, and preparation for immigration related interview
- Work closely and collaboratively with caseworkers, educators, and other employees at the organization.
- Ensure WAW’s legal services are fully compliant with all applicable laws and regulations, including grant requirements, while always protecting the confidentiality and best interests of clients.
- Immediate caseload will include but is not limited to: naturalization, citizenship, adjustment of status, consular processing, K1 visa, and replacement documents.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equity, international human rights, immigration justice, and serving low-income, marginalized people of color.
- Must be admitted to the bar in New York State or awaiting admission
- Experience with immigration and refugee law and a demonstrated ability to learn complex areas of the law quickly
- Pragmatic approach to risk assessment and an ability to approach this legal work with an appropriate sense of urgency and sensitivity
- Excellent organizational and program management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of the team
- Openness to evolving responsibilities and a rapidly adapting workplace
- Access to and ability to activate networks of subject matter and legal experts to inform and shape the work a plus
- Fluency in Dari, Pashto, and/or Urdu a plus
Please email your application (cover letter, resume, and a 1-page writing sample) to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please type Staff Attorney – [your last name] in the subject line. This will be an expedited search with applications being considered on a rolling basis. Please apply as soon as possible in order to ensure your application can be thoroughly reviewed.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.
Job Type: Full-time
Paid time off
Schedule: Monday to Friday