Women for Afghan Women’s is looking for a detail-oriented, well-spoken, and energetic Communications Specialist who works closely with WAW’s US Programs Team and Development Team to showcase our accomplishments and success, raise the organization’s visibility, and expand our networks of support by leading all online and media communications-related activities in the United States.
Directly supervised by the US Country Director, the Communications Specialist will be a part of the US Programs Team and will work closely with US program staff, the Executive Director, and the Development Team.
The position is full time and will be required to work in-person at our Fresh Meadows office in Queens, NY.
The Communications Specialist’s primary role will be executing the following tasks:
- Communications Strategy:
- Work closely with the US Country Director and Advocacy/Outreach Coordinator to ensure that advocacy/outreach efforts and goals are integrated across all communications campaigns.
- Work closely with the development team in designing and implementing multi-platform marketing/fundraising campaigns and building donor Implement fundraising strategy across social media and other platforms in collaboration with the Development Associate.
- Lead efforts in refining WAW’s brand in the US and developing a marketing strategy, including a social media plan.
- Press & Media Relations: Oversee projects, manage relationships, lead efforts to increase awareness and exposure of WAW in the US, including but not limited to:
- Building and sustaining strong relationships with journalists and other traditional and new media professionals.
- Drafting, editing, and finalizing press releases, op-ed pieces, and media communications related to WAW’s work in the US.
- Setting up speaking opportunities and interviews for WAW’s S. staff
- Raising the visibility of WAW’s US work and needs.
- Managing WAW’s timely response to media inquiries as well as responses to current events/articles/statements related to WA.
- Developing a crisis communications plan, including prepping staff and board.
- Creating media kits and updated media lists.
- Creating talking points/FAQ for staff and board.
- Promotional materials and communications:
- Coordinating the creation and updating of all our print and electronic materials, including reports, newsletters, videos clips, brochures, presentations, and email announcements (e-blasts), while ensuring the consistency in our messaging and our communication’s visual identity.
- Manage all WAW’s social media platforms by producing and posting social media content, email blasts, and other digital and print media to increase awareness of WAW’s US work, connect with partners, and raise WAW’s profile.
- Drafting, proofreading, finalizing, and disseminate success stories to showcase the impact of WAW’s US work using various platforms such as social media outlets, newsletters, and other print and digital media.
- Special Events & Development Projects:
- Lead the marketing and publicity campaigns for all events.
- Assist with various development/fundraising projects, including Annual Appeal, fundraising campaigns, and other projects that will benefit WAW’s work in the US.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- 3-5 years of communications experience, particularly in the areas of marketing and branding, public relations, and/or journalism.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in handling various social media platforms.
- Ability to multitask and manage media deadlines.
- Familiarity with graphic design.
- Ability to work proactively and to implement new initiatives with little supervision.
- Being a team player and having great interpersonal skills.
Additional Skills and Qualifications (preferred but not required)
- Speaking and reading proficiency in Dari and/or Pashto
- Experience in video production and editing
- Experience working in a grassroots nonprofit organization, preferably for women/girls
- Demonstrated commitment to building long-term power and opportunity for women/girls, low-income people of color, underserved communities
How to Apply
Please email your application to email@example.com .Your application package must include:
- One-page cover letter
- A brief writing sample (1-2 pages)
- Sample social media campaigns/ publications
Please type Communications Specialist – [your last name] in the subject line. Position to be filled immediately.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.