Job Type: Part-time
JOB TITLE: Youth Program Team Leader
REPORTS TO: Education Program Coordinator, New York Community Center
Women for Afghan Women (WAW) is a grassroots, civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural, and economic. WAW advocates for women’s rights and challenges the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
The Youth Leadership Team Leader serves as a mentor and role model for the youth participants enrolled in the Youth Leadership Program (ages 10-15) and the Afghan Youth Rising (AYR) program (ages 16-20) conducted by WAW’s New York Community Center (NYCC). Program participants are first-generation Muslim Americans or recently arrived immigrants.
WAW’s youth programs aim to develop participants’ leadership, communication, and critical thinking skills. Our programs ensure that young people from the local Afghan and Muslim immigrant communities have a safe space to convene and openly discuss issues that pertain to them, including culture; religion; women’s rights and self-empowerment; career development and college-readiness; and gender-based violence.
Location: 71-19 162nd St, Fresh Meadows, NY, and possibly local public school(s)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and teaching an appropriate and engaging program curriculum
- Conducting pre- and post-program surveys
- Maintaining accurate records, including attendance and program notes
- Providing monthly written progress and other reports as required
- Planning needs and requesting supplies in a timely manner
- Organizing field trips, including making reservations, arranging transportation, planning snacks/meals
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Language skills in Dari, Pashto preferred
- Passionate about youth development, women’s rights, and gender equality
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills
- Resourceful, organized and pays great attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both spoken and written
- Experience working with youth and immigrants
- Ability to create a safe, respectful, positive, fun, and welcoming environment while modeling professionalism and utilizing positive feedback methods
- Knowledgeable of the U.S. education system
- Middle or high school classroom teaching experience, preferred
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $30.00 per hour
Schedule: Two weekday afternoons per week, 4:00pm-6:00pm; alternate Saturdays, 11:00am-5:00pm during school year
Ability to commute/relocate
This position is in Queens, NY. Candidates must reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (Required)
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please type Youth Team Leader, NY – [your last name] in the subject line and apply at your earliest convenience as we are looking to hire as soon as possible. No phone calls please.
Women for Afghan Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.