Women for Afghan Women (WAW), a human rights organization located at WAW’s New York Community Center (NYCC) in Fresh Meadows, NY, is looking for a communications intern to assist the organization with tasks related to strategic communications, content development, social media, and marketing. The ideal candidate will have some experience in advocacy-based communications, social media, graphic design, and/or public relations.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with maintaining and updating organized shared libraries to store photos, resources, information, data, and content
- Take the lead in collecting content for quarterly newsletters
- Write and edit blogs and other texts
- Assist with maintaining and updating WAW’s website
- Assist in updating mission-related platforms and promotional material
- Assist in maintaining the organization’s social media by tracking engagement and posting relevant posts on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube)
- Assist with special communications projects, including appeals, campaigns, and issues/communications that cross-cut between WAW’s communications department and WAW’s advocacy office as directed by Communications Manager
- Conduct relevant research and assist with outreach
- Maintaining and updating all mailing/contact lists
- Provide administrative support, as needed
Interns will be required to commit a total of 12-16 hours per week and will be required to come into our offices at the NYCC at least once a week. Ideal candidates will possess the following:
- Passion for human rights and gender equality
- Background in communications, public relations, and/or marketing
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent proficiency with social media platforms
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A positive can-do attitude and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and work well independently
- Graphic design experience and ability to use Adobe Creative Suite is preferred, but not required.
- Interested candidates please email email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.
Your application should include a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample (1-2 pages) and a sample of work you designed (website, printed material, blog, etc.).
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org type Communications Internship – [your last name] in the subject line.
This internship is unpaid but can be completed for undergraduate or graduate credit.